The Hague - 23 March, 2015 European Defence Agency
Jorge Domecq, Chief Executive of the European Defence Agency and Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, Minister of Defence of the Netherlands have met today to discuss Dutch participation in EDA capability programmes, the implementation of EU Maritime Security Strategy Action Plan as well as preparations of the European Council discussion on defence in June 2015.
During the visit, Jorge Domecq also met with senior officials of the Dutch Ministry of Defence. The main topics addressed during the meetings were the preparation of the Heads of State and Government discussion on defence in June 2015, the Multi Role Tanker Transport project, the implementation of the EU Maritime Security Strategy Action Plan, support to industry, as well as EDA’s work regarding the Preparatory Action for CSDP-related research.
“Military shortfalls can only be fixed if nations develop joint approaches”, Minister Hennis-Plasschaert stated after the meeting. “The efforts of defence cooperation between European countries can only lead to high level capabilities through integrated defence research and strengthening the position of small and medium enterprises. Only then joint capabilities can lead to innovative and future orientated cooperation between like-minded countries. It will boost military effectiveness and enhance our ability to act.”
“The Netherlands leads two of the European Defence Agency’s flagship capability projects. The Multi Role Tanker Transport project aims at creating a European air-to-air refuelling and transport capability in the long-term. The Joint Deployable Exploitation and Analysis Laboratory contributes to reducing casualties resulting from improvised explosive devices. EDA really is an instrument at the service of our Member States. It is our aim to support nations in all their efforts of defence cooperation. At the same time, the Member States are in the driving seat and their input to EDA projects is paramount”, Jorge Domecq said after the meeting with Minister Hennis-Plasschaert.
Jorge Domecq’s meetings in The Hague are part of a tour to all EDA Member States following his appointment as EDA Chief Executive and ahead of the European Council in June.
- News item about the visit on the website of the Dutch Ministry of Defence (in NL)
- EDA's air-to-air refuelling programme
- More information on the Joint Deployable Exploitation and Analysis Laboratory (JDEAL)
- News "Discussions on European defence in Portugal" (23 March 2015)
- News "Jorge Domecq meets German Secretary of State" (19 March 2015)
- News "Belgium and EDA discuss future defence cooperation" (18 March 2015)
- News "Jorge Domecq in the UK for cooperation talks" (25 Feb 2015)
- News "Latvia and EDA discuss cooperation opportunities" (19 Feb 2015)
- News "EDA Chief Executive visits Lithuania" (17 Feb 2015)