ARABIAN GULF (Sept. 17, 2015) - An F/A-18F Super Hornet, assigned to the Checkmates of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 211, launches from the flight deck aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71). Theodore Roosevelt is deployed in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, strike operations in Iraq and Syria as directed, maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts in the region. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Anna Van Nuys/Released)
September 20, 2015 by CJTF-OIR - Release # 20150920
Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Sept. 19, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Iraq. Coalition military forces conducted 11 airstrikes coordinated with the government of Iraq using, strike, fighter-attack, bomber, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
• Near Bayji, one airstrike resulted in terrain denied to ISIL fighters.
• Near Hit, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Kirkuk, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Kisik, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, and destroyed an ISIL bunker.
• Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, and destroyed an ISIL fighting position and suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
• Near Ramadi, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL buildings.
• Near Sinjar, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun fighting position, an ISIL vehicle, and five ISIL bunkers.
• Near Tal Afar, one airstrike, struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States.