September 9, 2015 by CJTF-OIR Release # 20150909
Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria and Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Sep. 8, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted three airstrikes using attack, bomber fighter and remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 14 airstrikes coordinated with the government of Iraq using attack, bomber, fighter, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
In coordination with the Government of Iraq, the Coalition conducted airstrikes against an ISIL operating base located near Ramadi.
“Coalition strikes targeted and destroyed a large Daesh staging facility that housed weapons caches, combat equipment and included a multitude of prepared defensive positions” said Col. Michael Indovina, spokesman, CJTF-OIR. “This facility was a key Daesh command and supply hub in the Ramadi region and was being used to store large amounts of homemade explosives, as well as VBIED components. Destroying this facility enables Iraqi security forces activities in and around Ramadi while degrading Daesh command and control capability throughout the area.”
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
• Near Al Hawl, one airstrike destroyed three ISIL bunkers.
• Near Ar Raqqah, one airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit and an ISIL training camp and destroyed five ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL motorcycle.
• Near Mar’a, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL front end loader.
• Near Al Huwayjah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
• Near Bayji, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL VBIED.
• Near Fallujah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building.
• Near Habbaniyah, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL homemade explosives cache and an ISIL rocket rail.
• Near Kirkuk, one airstrike struck two ISIL heavy machine gun firing positions and an ISIL mortar firing position.
• Near Kisik, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL heavy machine gun firing position and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
• Near Ramadi, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, an ISIL operating base and an ISIL staging area and destroyed five ISIL homemade explosives caches, two ISIL boats, an ISIL motorcycle and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Sinjar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions and two ISIL heavy machine guns.
• Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL mortar firing position and destroyed an ISIL bunker, an ISIL excavator, an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL trench and an ISIL weapons cache.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.