October 8, 2015 by CJTF – OIR Release # 20151008-01
Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria and Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA- On Oct. 7, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted two strikes using fighter aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 18 strikes coordinated with and in support of the Government of Iraq using bomber, fighter, attack, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
• Near Al Hawl, two strikes destroyed an ISIL crude oil collection point and an ISIL oil pump.
• Near Bayji, two strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL tactical vehicle and three ISIL vehicles.
• Near Kirkuk, two strikes suppressed two ISIL mortar positions.
• Near Mosul, two strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL fighting position, and suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
• Near Ramadi, five strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL buildings, two ISIL tunnels, four ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL mortar position, an ISIL sniper position, and six ISIL home-made explosive facilities.
• Near Sinjar, six strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroyed three separate ISIL vehicle borne improvised explosive device facilities, an ISIL heavy machine gun, two ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL weapons cache, and two ISIL trench systems.
• Near Sultan Abdallah, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
Strike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted strikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and the United States. Coalition nations which have conducted strikes in Syria include Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and the U.S.