August 25, 2015 by CJTF-OIR Release # 20150825
Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria and Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Aug. 24, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted five airstrikes using fighter and remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 31 airstrikes coordinated with the government of Iraq using attack, bomber, fighter, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
• Near Al Hasakah, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL bunker, an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL structure.
• Near Al Hawl, one airstrike destroyed nine ISIL fighting positions.
• Near Ar Raqqah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
• Near Washiyah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Al Baghdadi, three airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed six ISIL rocket rails, an ISIL artillery piece, an ISIL building, an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL mortar system, an ISIL rocket system, an ISIL weapons cache and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Bayji, two airstrikes struck one large and one small ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL excavator, an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Fallujah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed four ISIL rocket systems.
• Near Kisik, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL sniper firing position and destroyed an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
• Near Mosul, five airstrikes struck five ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Sinjar, four airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL armored vehicle.
• Near Sultan Abdallah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
• Near Tal Afar, one airstrike struck and suppressed an ISIL heavy machine gun firing position.
• Near Tuz, 12 airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and six ISIL staging areas and destroyed 57 ISIL fighting positions and three ISIL vehicles.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.