Declaration by the High Representative on behalf of the European Union on the alignment of certain third countries with Council Decision 2013/255/CFSP concerning restrictive measures against Syria
Brussels, 24 June 201311533/13 (OR. en) PRESSE 292
On 31 May 2013, the Council adopted Decision 2013/255/CFSP (1) concerning restrictive measures against Syria. The Decision applies until 1 June 2014.
The Decision concerns restrictive measures against Syria with regard to:
– export and import restrictions with the exception of arms and related material and equipment which might be used for internal repression;
– restrictions on financing of certain enterprises;
– restrictions on infrastructure projects;
– restrictions of financial support for trade;
– financial sector;
– transport sector;
– restrictions on admission;
– freezing of funds and economic resources.
With regard to the possible export of arms to Syria Member States committed to proceed in their national policies in agreement with the Council Declaration adopted on 27 May 2013.
The Candidate Countries Montenegro*, Iceland+ and Serbia*, the Country of the Stabilisation and Association Process and potential candidate Albania, and the EFTA countries Liechtenstein and Norway, members of the European Economic Area , as well as the Republic of Moldova and Georgia, align themselves with this Decision.
They will ensure that their national policies conform to this Council Decision.
The European Union takes note of this commitment and welcomes it.
(1) Published on 1.6. 2013 in the Official Journal of the European Union no. L 147, p. 14.
* Montenegro and Serbia continue to be part of the Stabilisation and Association Process
+ Iceland continues to be a member of the EFTA and of the European Economic Area
(original version - EN)