September 17, 2015 by CJTF-OIR - Release # 20150917
Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria and Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Sep. 16, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted one airstrike using remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 21 airstrikes coordinated with the government of Iraq using attack, bomber, fighter, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
• Near Ar Raqqah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
• Near Al Huwayjah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
• Near Bayji, four airstrikes struck one large and one small ISIL tactical units, an ISIL backhoe, an ISIL tunnel and destroyed 14 ISIL vehicles, three ISIL support positions, and an ISIL armored bulldozer.
• Near Fallujah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL rocket rail.
• Near Kirkuk, two airstrikes struck two ISIL mortar firing positions.
• Near Kisik, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
• Near Mosul, eight airstrikes struck five ISIL tactical units and destroyed 35 ISIL fighting positions, three ISIL heavy machine guns and an ISIL armored vehicle.
• Near Ramadi, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL VBIED and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Sinjar, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and struck two ISIL mortar firing positions and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.